October 20, 2010

RECEIPTS

YELLOW CARD Why, I ask, do I need 3 feet of receipt paper for the single toilet plunger I bought at the Home Depot? Or why does CVS need to tell me my entire "trip summary", Extra Care card balance, Extra Buck offers, flu shots clinics, and coupons on every single receipt??? I kid you not, I bought two items and my receipt was 17.5 inches long!!! Just look at the photo, that is a standard pen, how ridiculous! Haven't these places heard that we are in the middle of a Green initiative? Miles of paper for a receipt? Hello? Trees??!!

All of these stores need to take a cue from Apple Retail locations. A one-on-one customer experience with a salesperson that has a hand held POS system / receipt generator. No waiting in line. There's a novel idea. Everyone loves lines right??? After your transaction, the associate asks you if you would like your receipt emailed, printed out or both. Email please, so I can file it when I need to, where I need to, at home or at my office. Lovely. Might I suggest next time you are given one of those War and Peace receipts try a new approach. Simply, tear the receipt just below your items and the bar code (in case you need to return it) and hand the remainder back to the sales person.

No comments: